Saturday, 17 July 2021
- Free Practice 2: P3, 1:30.507, 29 laps
- Sprint Qualifying: P11, 17 laps
- Carlos Sainz’s Sprint Qualifying was compromised on the first lap of the race when George Russell hit his Ferrari as the Spaniard tried to overtake him through the outside line.
- Due to this contact, Carlos fell to the nineteenth place. He then embarked on a comeback drive to cross the line just four tenths away from the Top 10.
- The Spaniard will start from eleventh place this Sunday at the British GP, where he will try to gain more positions in order to transform into points the good performance he has shown so far.
"More than a Sprint Qualifying it was a ‘comeback stint’ for me today. I’m very far from happy because the car has good pace and I was looking forward to qualifying in a good position for tomorrow. Unfortunately my race was heavily compromised at the first lap due to what I honestly think was George’s mistake. He locked up and hit me in the rear of the car, forcing me off the track and obviously sending me to the back of the field in P19. I wasn’t going to give up, so I pushed flat out for the rest of the race, did some good overtakes despite the difficulties in this track and managed to recover to P11. It was a strong comeback, but I would’ve preferred not to be pushed off. Anyways, it’s part of racing and we still have tomorrow to try and recover more positions. The car is ready and I am ready. Let’s race".
Sunday, 18 July 2021
- Race: 15:00 local time (16:00 CEST)