Sunday, 26 September 2021
- Race: P3, 53 laps
- Carlos achieved his third podium of the season in Sochi by finishing third in a race that was compromised by a downpour in the last few laps.
- The Ferrari driver started from second place, but he took the tow of the Poleman and put himself into the lead at the end of the main straight. He led the following 12 laps of the race.
- The Spaniard controlled the race until the graining started to kick in on his tyres. This led to a pit-stop on Lap 14 to move to the Hard compound. Once everyone had pitted, Carlos was running in third.
- Rain appeared with eight laps to go, but Carlos made the right call to switch to Intermediates on Lap 48.
- Although the end of the race was very tricky for the entire grid, he still finished in third place, which means that he is now sixth in the Drivers’ Championship with 112.5 points.
“This was a tricky but positive weekend for me, with a good quali and a strong race were I gave absolutely everything. We did a perfect start from the dirty side, braking late and risking it on the outside of Lando to get into the lead. Unfortunately we suffered from graining and couldn’t hold P1 longer, having to pit early. After the first stop, we did a very good stint managing the hard tyre in traffic and then pushing in clean air on course for a reasonably comfortable P3 before the rain came and made everything a lot trickier. With the used hard it was clear for me we needed to box for inters and together with the team we made the right decision at the right moment, regaining the P3!".
"It’s a happy podium but I think as a team we need to keep analysing what we can do better to make sure next time a Ferrari is leading we are less vulnerable. We’ve got some time before the next race so will keep pushing".
Turkish GP, Istanbul Park – 8-10 October 2021