Mugello, Saturday 12th September 2020
- Free Practice 3: P12, 1:17.768, 19 laps
- Qualifying: P9, 1:17.870, 17 laps
- Carlos Sainz is set to start from the ninth place at the Tuscan GP. He has been in eight o of the nine Q3 sessions that have been held so far this season.
- The McLaren driver used two sets of soft tyres in Q1 (1:16.933) and another two in Q2 (1:16.522), where the 0.4 seconds he improved were instrumental in making the cut.
- The Spaniard started Q3 on used tyres, setting a 1:17.870 to move up to ninth. He had new tyres for his last outing, but he had to give up on it due to a yellow flag.
"The result we got today was a great reaction to a weekend that has been very tough so far. We changed a lot of things in the set-up of the car and we managed to get a good lap in Q2 to put ourselves in Q3. It is a shame that there was a yellow flag in the final minutes of Q3, because that prevented us from seeing the limit of the car, although I am still happy with the overall result because we didn’t expect to be here. The two Renaults are very fast and so are the Racing Points, but anything is possible in the race. On Friday our pace was not very good, but tomorrow we will see if the changes that we have made in the last few hours prove to be useful. We will give our best".
Sunday, 13th September 2020
- Race: 15:10 local time (15:10 CEST)