Spielberg, Saturday 11th of July of 2020:
- Free Practice 3: cancelled
- Qualifying: P3, 1:20.671
- Carlos Sainz put together his best Qualifying to date in Formula 1, securing third under the rain of the Red Bull Ring. He’ll try to make the most of his McLaren in the race, which is set to be on dry conditions.
- Free Practice 3 was cancelled due to bad weather and the start of the Qualifying session was pushed back 46 minutes.
- In Q1, Carlos used full-wet tyres to clinch fourth with a 1:18.590 lap. He completed 13 laps in total, each one faster than the previous one since the track conditions were improving.
- The Spaniard of McLaren repeated the same strategy in Q2, securing seventh with a 1:18.836 lap. The rain increased in the closing stages, therefore slowing the track.
- In Q3, Carlos used a third set of full-wet tyres. In very challenging conditions, he clinched third with a 1:20.671 lap. It is his best Qualifying result to date, confirming the exceptional capabilities of the Spaniard under the rain, since his previous record (P5 at the 2018 Hungarian GP) was also in wet conditions.
"I am very happy with this result. It is the most challenging Qualifying session I can remember as a Formula 1 driver. There was aquaplaning all over the place and going flat-out it was difficult to keep the car straight. I enjoyed it and I secured my best result in Qualifying with this third place”.
"We are confident ahead of tomorrow, but we know that we’re facing some strong opposition. It will be important to settle into our race pace without losing any positions in the opening laps, and then seize any opportunities that may arise during the race".
Sunday, 12th of July 2020:
Race – 15:10 local time (15:10 CEST)