Montmeló, Saturday 15th August 2020
- Free Practice 3: P4, 1:18.046, 18 laps
- Qualifying: P7, 1:17.044, 17 laps
- Carlos Sainz was seventh in the Qualifying session for the Spanish GP. He used a new engine that seemed to solve the cooling issues he had suffered since Silverstone.
- The McLaren driver passed both Q1 (1:17.438) and Q2 (1:16.876).
- He started the Q3 on a used set of tyres, clocking a 1:17.466 that he later improved to 1:17.044 as he switched to the last new set he had available.
"Today was a good Qualifying in general. I felt very comfortable in the car, especially in the first two sectors. The wind picked up a little bit in Q2 in the final sector and that didn’t play in our favour, but the MCL35 behaved well and I am satisfied with this result. P7 is a good starting position, even though we could have been P6 hadn’t it been for the wind. Last night we decided to change the engine after the cooling issue we had had in the past few races and it looks like the issue is now gone, so this is great news. We have never raced in Barcelona with this heat, so the race will be tough both for the strategy and for us drivers".
Sunday, 16th August 2020
Race – 15:10 local time (15:10 CEST)