Sakhir, Saturday 5th December 2020
- Free Practice 3: P10, 54"720, 16 laps
- Qualifying: P8, 54"010, 20 laps
- Carlos Sainz will take the start of the Sakhir GP from the eight place, despite having damage on one bargeboard from his second outing in Q2.
- The Spaniard of McLaren used the slipstreams through Q1 (54.450) and Q2 (53.818) to make up for the lack of speed in Free Practice.
- He didn't run on medium tyres at any point in the session, thus saving two sets for the race
"Today we achieved the best result that we could achieve. After a very challenging Friday, we made it to Q3, qualified P8 and saved two sets of medium tyres that can be very helpful during the race. It was a good day for the team, because after Free Practice 3 we feared we could fall outside of the Top 10".
"Intuition played a key role in this session, because the car was not up for a good result. We played with the slipstreams and we knew what we had to do throughout the session. I started the Q1 on hard tyres to save the softer ones for the final minutes, in order to benefit for the evolution of the track and to save a set for Q3. It was a shame that we didn't get to use a slipstream in the final lap, because in those conditions we ultimately saw where we really were. Anyway, I am happy with today's result and tomorrow we will fight to finish the race in the best position possible".
Sunday, 6th December 2020
- Race: 20:10 local time (18:10 CET)