Sochi, Saturday 26th September 2020
- Free Practice 3: P3, 1:34.055, 17 laps
- Qualifying: P6, 1:32.550, 15 laps
- Carlos Sainz set the sixth fastest time (1:32.550) in Russian Qualifying, despite a change in the wind direction and cooler track temperatures compromised the performance of the MCL35 compared to Free Practice 3.
- The McLaren driver moved past Q1 (1:33.967) on a single set of tyres, saving an additional set for the final round. On Q2 (1:32.757) there was a red flag when he was about to start his second stint, although he already had a good lap-time under the belt.
- The Spaniard set a good lap (1:33.017) early into Q3, but in the last few minutes he improved to 1:32.550 on the set of tyres he had saved in Q1.
"I am very happy with this P6, because it wasn’t an easy Qualifying at all. I’ve felt very comfortable in the car all weekend long and I think we maximized what was in the car. It was still a challenge to put it all together in Q3, but we did it. The car behaved different than in the morning session and our balance was affected by a change in the direction of the wind and cooler track temperatures".
"From the early moments of Qualifying we saw that the Renaults and the Racing Points were really fast, but that doesn’t mean that tomorrow we can’t put up a good fight. We are starting from a good position and I am looking forward to the race".
Sunday, 27th September 2020
Race – 14:00 local time (13:10 CEST)