Saturday, 1 May 2021
- Free Practice 3: P7, 1:19.050, 24 laps
- Qualifying: P5, 1:19.039, 23 laps
- Carlos Sainz will start from P5 at the Portuguese GP, where he put together today his best Qualifying performance so far this season
- The Ferrari driver made it through Q1 (1:19.309) with a single set of tyres.
- He started the Q2 on the Medium tyre (1:19.560), but he later changed to the Soft to put together a 1:19.142 and make the cut to the final round.
- He had two sets of Soft tyres available for the Q3, starting with a 1:19.097 and improving to 1:19.039 to qualify right behind the cars of Mercedes and Red Bull.
"It was a very hard Qualy out here in Portimão due to the gusty wind and the tricky conditions but I’m happy with my session. When I was out on track I was feeling well immediately and we have been taking good decisions on the setup of the car all weekend".
"The biggest positive for me is that my approach seems to be working fine and the feeling with the car gets better after every session. There is still a lot of margin to improve, but I think today was a good step and I’m happy for that".
"I would have preferred to make it into Q3 with the mediums, though. My pace was good with that compound and if it hadn’t been for the traffic with an Alfa Romeo on the second push I think I would have been in a better position to make the cut. However, since I had saved one set of Softs after a strong first run in Q1, we decided to avoid unnecessary risks and qualified to Q3 with a Soft set. Once in the top ten, a good couple of laps gave us P5 for tomorrow".
"Despite the tyre disadvantage for the race, I’m confident that with a strong start and tyre management from my side we can fight for good points. Let's race! Hasta mañana".
Sunday, 2 May 2021
- Race: 15:00 local time (16:00 CEST)