Portimao, Saturday 24th October 2020
- Free Practice 3: P7, 1:17.238, 24 laps
- Qualifying: P7, 1:17.520, 24 laps
- Carlos Sainz was seventh in Qualifying for the Portuguese GP. The wind picked-up through the session and played an important role.
- The McLaren driver moved past Q1 (1:17.627) and Q2 (1:17.183) with two outings in each round, even though in both cases he secured his best lap in the first one. He pitted in the second once, since he was safe into the next phase.
- The circuit lost speed in Q3 since the wind picked-up, affecting the MCL35. Carlos stayed out on track during six laps to warm-up his tyres and put together two flying laps on the same set.
“Even though it has been a difficult day, I am happy with this result because I have recovered the feeling of the car after the issues we had in Germany. The Qualifying session was tricky, because the wind picked-up and the balance of the car could change in every corner”.
“The tyres were like a puzzle, but I am satisfied because we managed to master them. We did some experiments throughout practice and then on Q3 we decided to push two laps on the same set, instead of doing two different flying laps on two sets”.
"The race is a big question mark, because we don’t know our pace or the tyre degradation. You usually get that information on Friday, but yesterday we had two red flags and development work for Pirelli and we couldn’t do much more. Still, we have put both cars on Q3 and we can take the fight from there. Let’s go!”
Sunday, 25th October 2020
- Race: 13:10 local time (14:10 CEST)