Saturday, 31 July 2021
- Free Practice 3: P4, 1:17.497, 20 laps
- Qualifying: P5, no lap-time
- Carlos Sainz was eliminated in Q2 at the Hungarian GP when he suffered a crash as he was about to do his first flying lap of the session.
- The Ferrari driver, who in Q1 had set a lap-time (1:16.649) good enough for Q3, touched the wall in the last corner when he was surprised by a big gust of wind. He couldn’t return to the pits because he had already left the entry of the Pit-Lane behind.
- The Spaniard braces himself for a recovery drive in the Grand Prix. He will have a free tyre choice for the start, which will be even more important than usual given how hard it is to overtake at the Hungaroring.
"This one is tough to take. I’m rarely involved in this type of incidents and it hurts. After a very strong run in Q1, going off in Q2 is the opposite of ideal. I was closing the lap, not pushing to the absolute limit as it was only the first run of Q2, and unfortunately I was caught out by a big gust of wind, as I later saw on the data. I don’t want to use it as an excuse, it was a mistake on track and I apologize to the entire team. They did a great job last night and the car today felt quite good".
"Unfortunately, this is one of the worst possible tracks to have this kind of issue because overtaking is tough here. I’ll give my best to recover and try to score as many points as possible tomorrow".
Sunday, 1 August 2021
- Race: 15:00 local time (15:00 CEST)