Mogyoród, 18th of July of 2020:
- Free Practice 3: P11, 1:16.545, 21 laps
- Qualifying: P9, 1:13.447
- Carlos Sainz set the ninth fastest time in the Qualifying session of the Hungarian GP. He will start the race on used soft tyres aiming to finish in the points.
- He used two sets of soft tyres in Q1 given the rapid evolution of the track, which was one second faster by the end of the session. He made the cut with a 1:15.281 lap, which was the fourth fastest time overall.
- In Q2, the McLaren driver clocked a 1:15.267 lap in his first stint, which was enough to clinch the eighth place and make it the final round.
- Carlos used his last new set of soft tyres in his first Q3 outing, given the fact that there was risk of rain. His lap, 1:15.027, put him in the ninth place of the Starting Grid.
"Today we took a step forward compared to Friday, even though I still struggled to predict the behaviour of the car in the last sector of the track. We know there’s still room for improvement, but we managed to put both cars in the Top 10 and we can be happy about that. In Q3 we used the new set straightaway because we saw rain along the way. Sadly, it didn’t reach the track, but it was still worth to take the risk. Race-wise, we know that it will be very important to pay attention to the strategy and the tyre degradation, because we’ll be starting right in front of cars with a free choice of tyres".
Sunday, 19th of July 2020
Race – 15:10 local time (15:10 CEST)