Saturday, 17 April 2021
- Free Practice 3: P7, 1:15.908, 21 laps
- Qualifying: P11, 1:15.199, 16 laps
- Carlos Sainz is set to start from eleventh place in the Emilia Romagna GP. He will be the first driver on a free tyre choice.
- The Ferrari driver used two sets of soft tyres in Q1. Even though his initial 1:15.552 lap would have been enough to make the cut, he completed a second stint and improved to 1:15.406.
- He repeated the same strategy in Q2, and even though his final 1:15.199 lap was three tenths quicker than his first stint, he fell short of Q3 by 61 thousandths of a second.
"Today’s result is not what I wanted. I struggled to nail all the corners in one single lap since the beginning of Qualifying. Every small mistake can cost you many positions in this tight field, so I am not happy because I know the lap time was there had I been able to make it all work on one strong lap. At the same time, I think this track has exposed that I still lack a bit of experience with the car to exactly know what to expect and how to extract the absolute maximum of it. It will come, I’m sure, but I feel I’m still on a learning curve. Into tomorrow, you can be sure I’ll give my absolute best to gain positions and fight for the best result possible. I’m confident in my pace and we will try to use the free tyre choice to our advantage".
Sunday, 18 April 2021
- Race: 15:00 local time (15:00 CEST)