Imola, Saturday 31st October 2020
- Free Practice: P14, 1:16.560, 42 laps
- Qualifying: p10, 1:14.911, 19 laps
- Carlos Sainz set the tenth fastest time in the Q3 of the Emilia Romagna GP, in a busy Saturday that comprised both the only Free Practice of the weekend and the Qualifying session.
- The McLaren driver didn’t get in Q1 (1:15.528) the feeling he had after Free Practice and traffic on track forced him to use two sets of tyres to make it to Q2 (1:15.027), where he used another two. This circumstance left him with just one new set available for Q3.
- The Spaniard started the final phase on used tyres (1:15.695), saving the new ones for the last few minutes, when he clocked his fastest lap of the week-end (1:14.991).
"Qualifying was trickier than we had anticipated, because Free Practice was fine, but ultimately in Q1 I got a different feeling. I was a little bit compromised on my first flying lap and I had to use two sets of tyres, which in the end was costly in Q3, because I had a single set available while the majority of my rivals had two. We finished farther from our competitors than what we would have liked. Now we will investigate the reasons why and we will try to improve for tomorrow. There was quite a gap between us and our main competitors, but things could change tomorrow once we are all on high fuel. We will give our very best, like we always do”.
Sunday, 1st November 2020
- Race: 13:10 local time (13:10 CET)