Silverstone, 1st August 2020
- Free Practice 3: P5, 1:26.664, 22 laps
- Qualifying: P7, 1:25.965
- Carlos Sainz is set to take the start of the British GP from the seventh slot on the grid. He will do so on soft tyres.
- The McLaren driver made it through Q1 (1.26.715) with two sets of soft tyres. He repeated the same strategy in Q2, clocking a 1:26.276 on his first stint and a 1:26.149 on the second one to set the fourth fastest time overall.
- The Spaniard started the Q3 on used tyres, setting a 1.26.654 lap. In the last few minutes, he put only remaining new set he had available, clocking a 1:25.965 on a good lap despite some issues on the rear end of the car.
- Going into the race, he is confident that he can move forward with his long-run pace.
"The car performed well and I felt more comfortable as we progressed through the weekend which is a confirmation of the fact that we are improving and getting closer to what I need for my driving style. Still, I am not completely happy because my Q3 lap could have been better. I lost the car at the exit of a couple corners and that compromised my top speed on the straights. Anyway, P7 is a good starting position for tomorrow".
"Today the track was very different to yesterday and the forecast suggests that tomorrow the temperatures will be very similar to today, so anything we could have learnt from yesterday’s long-runs won’t be very useful. It seems the front tyres will struggle a bit in this track, so we will take care of them and seize any opportunities that may come in our way".
Sunday, 2nd August 2020
Race – 14:10 local time (15:10 CEST)