Francorchamps, Saturday 29th August 2020
- Free Practice 3: P9, 1:44.006, 13 laps
- Qualifying: P7, 1:42.438, 15 laps
- Carlos Sainz is set to start from seventh at the Belgian GP after a solid Qualifying.
- The McLaren driver used a single set of tyres in Q1 (1:43.322), saving another one for Q3. He was fifth in Q2 with a lap-time of 1:42.478.
- The Spaniard used two brand-new sets of tyres in Q3. He set his fastest lap on his first stint (1:42.438). His second outing was very similar, always on the limit to the capabilities of the car.
"It was a very tight and fought Qualifying session. The key of the day was setting a very good lap in Q1, which ultimately enabled us to save a second set of tyres for Q3. It is something I have tried to focus, to try and be fast straight from the beginning of Qualifying. I am happy that we capitalized that and that we made the most of the car".
"It was positive beating the Racing Points. Our race pace is slightly slower than theirs and Renault’s, but I think we can fight from P7. The risk of rain is decreasing steadily. I like the rain, even though our car is prepared for dry conditions. We will see what happens, but it will be a very close fight".
Sunday, 30th August 2020
Race – 15:10 local time (15:10 CEST)