Sakhir, Saturday 28th November 2020
- Free Practice 3: P5, 1:29.455, 12 laps
- Qualifying: P15, no time set, 5 laps
- Carlos Sainz’s Qualifying effort was cut short in the early stages of Q2 by an issue in the rear brakes, which locked at the end of the main straight. The Spaniard hadn’t set a time yet.
- He had been competitive up until then, setting the fifth fastest time overall in Free Practice 3 and getting through Q1 (1:28.975) comfortably on a single set of tyres.
"We had an issue in the rear brakes and we are now investigating it, because if there was one day when we couldn’t make a mistake it was today. We had made it to Q2 on a single set of tyres and I was feeling comfortable in the car, but then we had a mechanical problem. It compromises a lot our race, because we’ll be starting from behind and we won’t have available the set of medium tyres we wanted for Sunday. We will have to fight back in the race, but we know that it is going to be tough because the cars in the Top 10 are going to be on mediums and we won’t have any advantage, even if we are given the chance to choose tyres. We will look into what happened today in the car and come up with the best strategy available to control the damage and seize any opportunities that may come our way".
Saturday, 29th November 2020
- Race: 17:10 local time (15:10 CET)