Yas Marina, Saturday 12th December 2020
- Free Practice 3: P8, 1:37.068, 10 laps
- Qualifying: P6, 1:35.815, 14 laps
- Carlos Sainz is set to start sixth in his final race with McLaren, in which he will have an advantage over his main competitors given that he was the only car of the midfield to move past Q2 (1:36.192) on the Medium tyre.
- The Spaniard made the cut in Q1 (1:36.517) using a single set of Soft tyres. He will start from the third row of the grid despite a mistake in his final Q3 outing.
“Up until Q3, it was one of my best Qualifying sessions in Formula 1. I made it to Q3 with a single set of tyres and then I moved to Q3 on the Medium compound to have an advantage going into the race. In Q3 I didn’t get a perfect lap, maybe because we lacked the rhythm or because we didn’t run that much on the Soft tyre. The Soft tends to overheat and maybe I pushed too much in my will to finish as high as possible in my last Qualifying with the team”.
“In any case, we are one of the few cars that have managed to qualifying on the Medium compound and that will turn into an advantage going into the race, even though it won’t be easy at all since our rivals will try to undercut us. Still, I felt more comfortable on the Medium throughout the weekend and so I wanted to try something different. My teammate finished ahead of me, but he has a new engine. He will start the race on the Soft tyre, so the team will have split strategies. Hopefully we can say goodbye with a great result”.
Sunday, 13th December 2020
- Race: 17:10 local time (14:10 CET)