- Carlos set the ninth fastest time in Qualifying at the Yas Marina Circuit, but the result could have been better hadn't it been for traffic in his out-lap during Q3.
- The McLaren driver used two sets of soft tyres in Q2. He set a 1:37.358 lap with the first one, establishing himself as the first car of the midfield. He gave up on his second run after confirming that he would be making the cut.
- He used another two sets of the soft compound in Q2. He improved to 1:36.629 with the first one, becoming sixth and leader of the midfield. With the second one he improved to 1:36.308 to make it to the final round.
- The Spaniard started Q3 on the set of tyres he had prepared during the first phase. His 1:36.479 was enough to be on provisional P7. He then put on a brand-new set of softs, but he was caught in the middle of the front-runners during the out-lap. He improved to 1:36.459 on cold tyres to be ninth.
- Since Valtteri Bottas carries a grid penalty, Carlos moves up to eighth in the Starting Grid.
"I am very disappointed with today’s result, because I’d been very strong in Q1 and Q2. But my out-lap in Q3 was far from ideal. We got caught between the Mercedes and Ferrari, so I couldn’t prepare well the temperature of my tyres and my last attempt was compromised. It is a shame, because matching my Q2 lap would have put us P7. I expect a tough race tomorrow, so we’ll switch our focus from now on".