Silverstone, Saturday 8th August 2020
- Free Practice 3: P10, 1:27.627, 22 laps
- Qualifying: P13, 1:27.083, 12 laps
- Carlos Sainz qualified thirteenth for the Starting Grid of the 70th Anniversary GP. He suffered a cooling issue that compromised his top speed throughout the Qualifying session.
- The McLaren driver used two sets of soft tyres in Q1, making the cut with the twelfth fastest time overall (1:27.475).
- In Q2, the Spaniard used only the medium compound given that the degradation of the soft one would have put him on a compromised position for the start of the race. He set a 1:27.450 on his first attempt and then he improved to 1:27.083, qualifying thirteenth.
"I am not happy, because our main rivals made a step forward going into this weekend and we found an issue with the cooling of my car. We were forced to change the engine cover following the last practice session. That cost me drag in the straights, which meant that we were losing speed and several tenths. Anyway, I still believe that we have a chance tomorrow to get back in the points and that is exactly what we are going to try".
"I felt fine in the car both in fast corners and slow corners, and we have two new sets of hard tyres. Now it is all about fine-tuning the strategy to make sure that we capitalize each and every opportunity that comes in our way".
Sunday, 9th August 2020
Race – 14:10 local time (15:10 CEST)