Friday, 30 April 2021
- Free Practice 1: P9, 1:20.680, 27 laps
- Free Practice 2: P4, 1:20.197, 33 laps
- Carlos Sainz set the fourth fastest time on the Friday of the Portuguese GP, in a day when the wind and the lack of grip of the track were an added challenge for the teams.
- The Ferrari driver worked with the three tyre compounds available for the weekend. In the morning hours he covered 17 laps on the Hard tyre. In the afternoon, he did 17 on the Medium and 16 on the Soft.
- Tyre management is set to be a key factor in this weekend given that the Medium and the Soft compound perform in a similar way.
"Another positive Friday, another day of building experience with the car. We are maintaining our positive learning curve as this weekend the conditions and the tarmac are very different to the previous venues. Bahrain and Imola were high-grip tracks, while here in Portimao it was quite slippery and really windy today. I like the challenge of having to find the grip where there isn’t! I really enjoyed a lot racing here last time".
"We are fully focused on tomorrow. We saw in Imola that Friday may be misleading when comparing our one lap pace to our competitors, so we are wary of that. I think the key to the weekend is going to be understanding the tyres, as we set similar times on Soft and Mediums. We need to master the car behaviour with the different compounds, understand how to warm up the tyres properly and then identify when is the right time to try and set the fastest lap. Looking forward to tomorrow. Vamos!".
Saturday, 1 April 2021
- Free Practice 3: 12:00 local time (13:00 CEST)
- Qualifying: 15:00 local time (16:00 CEST)