Portimao, Friday 23rd October 2020
- Free Practice 1: P6, 1:19.441, 41 laps
- Free Practice 2: P5, 1:19.113, 32 laps
- Carlos Sainz completed 73 laps and performed all the tests McLaren had scheduled for this day.
- He tested the 2021 Pirelli tyres during the first 30 minutes of Free Practice 1, in which he completed 21 laps. In the remaining hour, he managed to get through two red flags to finish the session with 32 laps in total
"Today it was an intense Friday for everyone, because it is a new circuit and we had to seize each and every minute. During the afternoon we tested for the very first time the tyres that we will be using next season. There were a couple red flags that didn’t make our day any easier. The conditions were tricky, because the track had very low grip and the wind picked-up. Still, we were consistent and put together good lap-times, without particularly clean runs or clean laps. We all have a large margin for improvement going into Saturday. It is important that we also improve our car and that we put the tyres in the right window".
Saturday, 24th October 2020
- Free Practice 3: 11:00 local time (12:00 CEST)
- Qualifying: 14:00 local time (15:00 CEST)