- Free Practice 1: P6, 1:16.888, 26 laps
- Free Practice 2: P4, 1:15.834, 30 laps
- Positive day for Carlos Sainz in Imola, where he set the fourth fastest time (1:15.834) and finished the day just two tenths away from the leader.
- The Ferrari driver felt good and had no issues as he covered 56 laps. He used the three tyre compounds available for the weekend. He set his fastest time on the soft, which he also used for the longer runs.
- This was the first time that the Spaniard drove the SF21 outside Bahrain, where both the pre-season testing and the maiden Grand Prix of the season where held.
"It was an important day for me as I was looking forward to driving the car for the first time outside Bahrain. The different corners, tarmac, temperatures, etc. made it an interesting day for sure. It seems we could be a bit more competitive this weekend and, in general, the feeling with the car was positive as the conditions suits us better; you can feel some more grip and I am enjoying it out there, building up the confidence lap by lap trying to find the limit around the entire track. I’m not quite there yet, but today was a good start to the weekend and we still have FP3 to fine tune everything ahead of Qualifying tomorrow".
Saturday, 17 April 2021
- Free Practice 3: 11:00 local time (11:00 CEST)
- Qualifying: 14:00 local time (14:00 CEST)