Silverstone, Friday 31st July 2020:
- Free Practice 1: P12, 1:28.988, 23 laps
- Free Practice 2: P6, 1:27.820, 35 laps
- Intense Friday for Carlos Sainz, who worked with the three dry compounds and tested the new aerodynamic upgrades developed by McLaren.
- Carlos started Free Practice 1 by completing five installation laps on the hard compound, in order to try the new bits and pieces. He later switched to the soft compound, setting the twelfth best time overall (1:28.988).
- The Spaniard clocked the sixth fastest lap (1:27.820) in the afternoon session, which went underway in much hotter conditions than what it is expected for the rest of the weekend. Carlos completed the day with two long runs in preparation for the race, covering 12 laps both on the soft and the medium compounds.
"Today it was an intense Friday, because we brought a series of aerodynamic upgrades and we wanted to check their performance, while working on adapting the MCL35 to such a fast-flowing track as Silverstone is. I am happy, because I’ve seen an improvement from Free Practice 1 to Free Practice 2. Our time from Free Practice 2 looks really competitive, but it is important to take into consideration that the red flag compromised the flying lap of other cars. We are cautious and we will get through everything this evening. Tomorrow we will have a clearer understanding of where we are".
Saturday, 1st August 2020:
Free Practice 3 – 11:00 local time (12:00 CEST)
Qualifying – 14:00 local time (15:00 CEST)