Emilia Romagna GP, 31st October-1st November 2020
Imola (4,909 meters long, 19 corners, in the calendar since 1980)
- Imola returns to Formula 1 for the first time since 2006 following the COVID-19 pandemic, which has forced to change the calendar with more European circuits.
- The Grand Prix will only last two days: on Saturday there will be a 90-minute practice followed by Qualifying, and Sunday will be Race Day. The series is using this weekend as a testing bench for new formats.
- Carlos Sainz has only been to the track once before, in a Formula BMW test he performed one decade ago. He hopes that the nature of the corners plays in favour of his McLaren MCL35.
"This Grand Prix is different to the ones we are used to, given that it is going to last only two days instead of three. I think that reducing the track-time available can be interesting, given that we will have less time to fine-tune our set-up and our driving style. We will only have a 90-minute practice session prior to Qualifying. It will difficult to find the limits, there will not be any room for mistakes, but it is going to be a good challenge".
"Judging by the characteristic of the track, in theory we should perform better here than in Portimao, but we have already seen this year that theory is not always right, so we will stay cautious. I am already looking forward to hitting the track. Imola is an old-school track, with gravel and grass in the run-offs area, the walls very close to the track and some banking in the corners. We as drivers simply love this".
Saturday, 31st October 2020
- Free Practice 1: 10:00 local time (10:00 CET)
- Qualifying: 14:00 local time (14:00 CET)